Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Deer Hunt 09


I figured I would add some real content to lissa's blog so let me start with the deer hunts. This is Hoppy's (Stan) muzzleloader buck. We knew there were a couple good bucks in the area so I was pumped when I heard dad fire off his shot. We switched our tags to the Southern unit and really enjoyed seeing bucks with trash. I missed this same buck the night before. Dad complained about ground shrinkage but this is the first 5x5 he has shot. I even got a couple reluctant pictures of Hoppy behind this guy.


Tad seems to be able to pull his little stashes of luck out of his pocket at pretty much any time. Well he did it this year for sure. Opening morning after a first light blunder he was faced with a decision most hunters will never have the opportunity to choose from...... Do I shoot the one with trash, the really heavy buck or the tall wide buck? Let me see.... I'll shoot the one Doug laid claim to just a few minutes ago....the one with trash! He scored a nice 4x6 at 309 yards with a muzzleloader. We were just glad he didn't use ALL his luck when he stumbled across this toad because he definately needed some later that day. All I can say is way to open the muzzleloader hunt.



All season long I was stood firm that I wouldn't shoot a buck unless he was bigger than my last. That philosophy has kept me from shooting a deer for three years. Me and Tad spent the better part of the day looking at awesome deer country but saw few deer. Sometime during the day I piped off about shooting at a buck's forehead and fate would have it the only buck we found on the way back to Delta was a 2x3 that was perfectly OK letting me shoot at him. With a little badgering from Tad about never shooting deer I finally decided to follow through with my earlier threat. I missed the forehead but did not miss his neck and there we were. We spent the next half hour taking care of the little guy. Even though I wasted a chance at a limited entry draw with my unfilled dedicated hunter tag on dinky here I still had one heck of a day. No matter how bummed out I acted I spent the day tooling around the mountains with Tad and we got to deal with another deer together by the time it was over, I guess the 2x3 was worth it:)

5 comments:

  1. Nice post, Douglas! I'm really out of the loop on hunting slang, but I think I can understand what "trash" might mean. Is there a rod sticking out of dad's buck's head? Happy hunt-- I'm glad you guys all got something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trash is slang for cheater points. That rod is a stick holding the head straight, Dad was hesitant to be in the same picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a buck and a few fawns turning does who live in my backyard (which is undeveloped mountainside). They think they're my pets. They drive me insane, growing a garden with them around is IMPOSSIBLE. Maybe you guys should come take care of this little problem for me next hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, You should get a paintball gun.

    -Meliss

    ReplyDelete