Sunday, March 14, 2010

3 in 1 Birthday Party

On March 7th, 2005, Kallie and Owen were born. On the same day in 2010 they turned 5! They counted down for at least 20 days prior to their birthday. I originally thought for the last few years that it was tricky having a birthday party for two kids. Especially due to them being different genders. Then along came Emmett. He was born February 25th, 2009. We now get to do one birthday party a year for three kids that were born ten days apart. Watching Emmett open his first birthday gift with the help of his big brother and big sis was so sweet. He'd had practice since Christmas was only two months ago. The kid has billions of toys that were Kallie and Owens so I made him a rag quilt instead of buying more junk. As soon as he got it out of the paper, he SNUGGLED it. Mmmmm, he is a DELIGHT.

The day went smoothly. Food prep in the morning. Kallie and Owen went to church with Doug. The primary children sang to them and they received a painted block that read, " I am a child of God." Don't worry, it did get used as a weapon later on in the day when Kallie threw it at Owen. It bonked his head and he told everyone.
Emmett and I stayed home. He has a runny nose and a cough. It worked out. (Us staying home, not the runny nose.?!.) By the time they got back from church, Nana and Travis arrived at the house. The kids were soooo excited. Owen exclaims, "We FIVE today!" He holds his painted block up to Nana's face. I correct, "We ARE five today." (Speech therapy, work in progress) They wanted to go to their party all morning. We kept telling them, "After church we will go have dinner at the armory." That is where we had their party so we had room for the kids to run. 13 adults and13 kids. It was definitely more comfortable at the armory than it would've been at home. I had (as I'm sure all others) a great time. Costumes were recommended seeing as it was a pirate AND mermaid party. Cousin Lindsay (Tad and Jess's daughter) came as a cheerleader. Every party needs a cheerleader.
As soon as everyone arrived we had dinner. I thought and pondered for days about what to fix for dinner that would appeal to everyone. It had to be so yummy but be easy to put together the day of. I considered ordering pizza but decided against that because it was Sunday. I was wanting to make a few different things but couldn't decide. All I was sure of was, I didn't want anyone to have to bring anything because they were our guests. Doug could tell I was putting way too much thought into the menu so he suggests that I ask Kallie and Owen what they would like to have for dinner. (BRILLIANT! I mean, sigh...Psh, Duh, that was my next thought. Doug and I were made for each other.)
Mom, "Kallie, If you could eat your favorite food for dinner, what would it be?"
not more than half a second pasted
Kallie, "CAKE."
Mom, "We are going to have cake and ice cream for dessert. What else is your favorite?"
Kallie (standard automatic response), "I dun know."
Hmmm
Mom, "Well....would you like breakfast, lunch or dinner food?"
Kallie, "Breakfast!"
after much prodding she decides, "WAFFLES."
I ask Owen the same question and he says, "MACARONI AND CHEESE."
So there you have it. Our menu. I'll add fruit and protein and call it a day.

After dinner, the kids sunk a ship. I coerced Doug into fabricating two large pirate ships out of furniture boxes. They were spectacular. He pretended to dislike the task but I knew he way enjoying himself when he made an unexpected run to the hardware store for spray paint.
We had two teams unevenly divided. Over 50 wads of newspaper wrapped in duct tape. (Cannon balls)



Uncle Tad was not interested at all in playing such a childish game.



Kurik, Mindy's son, was the time keeper. We aren't sure what Mike (Mindy's husband) is doing over by the closet door. 60 seconds to get as many cannon balls to fly over and land in/on the other teams ship.

Uncle Tad again being entirely too uninvolved. We wouldn't dream of calling him Captain.


Rachel, Mindy's daughter, was protecting the "Mermaid Kingdom" castle from stray cannon balls. She wasn't about to participate in the crazy ship sinking feud.



Hey, there's Owen. This is one of the many times he thought to ask if it was present opening time. Good idea. We got right to it.


Emmett went first. He is so lovable. A whole year old. He was real careful with the paper.



Grandpa Stan got him a great vtech walking toy. He loves it!





Emmett has a new best friend, just his size. The Giraffe. He kisses it every time he sees this furry little long neck.











They have gift opening down to a science. "I'll take that off your hands. It looks like it has my name on it. Come on, just give it to me. Rip Oh look, Kallie it's for you. You are going to love the new..."

The comments they made each time they would open a gift would send me rolling on the ground. Owen opened a life like dinosaur from Mindy and he happily says, "Are you SERIOUS?!"
























































3 comments:

  1. Wow! You all went to a lot of work to create such an amazing party. Those cute kids of yours are going to remember that forever! I can't believe how big they are getting. Tad looks like he is having way too much fun! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say yet again, it's about time for an update! :)

    Wow, what a cute party! I'm kinda jealous I wasn't there, and you know for me, that's a big deal. It's so fun to see pictures of family! I loved the pictures of Tad. . . oh, isn't that just like him?

    What's going on in those last pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative my dear!! and so nice to do it at the armory....wish we could have been there, I can't believe they are 5, even though I have a recent 5 yr old myself! I love the boat game, much cooler than pin the tail on the donkey. I hope you get a few more years of 3-in-1 parties before they figure out they need their own...with lots of school friends....:)

    ReplyDelete